Goa Gajah, the Elephant Cave

Goa Gajah is a cave for the tourist attraction and the location about 26 km from Denpasar. This cave was built to the chasm bank from the meeting of a small river.

Goa Gajah is not so big, but was known as the site of interesting archaeological.

Before entering this temple, I had to have my ticket entrance and I had to wrap my under body with sarong. It took me awhile to do this because it was pretty long sarong for a little girl like me. The temple staff had no any smaller size. However, my will to see the cave put me to make more effort to deal with that long sarong. As I finished, I eagerly walked down on the small shady path among the trees. Along the path I could see the main area of the temple where the elephant cave is. 

Inside Goa Gajah was found the God’s statue Ganesha and the place of the bathing place with the fairy’s six statues as his accessories.  The available temple in Goa Gajah was surrounded by the paddy field.

It overlooks the Petanu River and consists of a Siwaitic rock-cut cave, a bathing place, a monks’ chamber, a number of Buddhist rock cut stupas and statues, and several foundations. It received its name from the archaeologists who discovered it in 1923, because there is a giant head with floppy ears above the entrance which was at a first glance thought to represent an elephant. 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.